Skip to Content Skip to menu Skip to links

Frequently Asked Questions For Divorce / Family Law

Welcome to the questions and answers area.
We have a large database of FAQs so we have organized them by topic. For frequently asked questions related to a specific topic, select it from the list below.


Where do I go to file a Divorce?
You may file a Petition for Divorce at the Civil/Family Department located in the Historical Courthouse. If you are an Attorney we suggest that you e-file you pleadings. You must become an attorney subscriber in order to start e-filing.
What can I do if I am not able to pay the filing fee?
You may however apply for determination of indigent status and if approved the clerk will enroll you in a payment plan. You may fill this application out in our Civil/ Family Department at the time of filing. There is an additional fee for this service.
How long does a divorce take?
The Clerk’s office is unable to give you an exact time frame of a Divorce. This differs for each individual case. You may review the Florida Statue Chapter 61 that governs the Family Law of Dissolution.
What’s the next step after I file for divorce?
Once you file a Petition for Divorce, you will fill out a FORM A that will be sent to the Case Managers. They will review the case and contact you via-mail within 15 business days after filing.  For more information visit the 12th Judicial Circuit Court Self-Help Program.
How can I contact the Self Help Program Case Manager?
The only way to contact the assigned case manager is by filling out a Form A, Form B, or Form C and submitting this form at the Civil/Family Department. The Clerk’s office will then forward the form to the Case Manager. You may obtain this form at our Civil/ Family Department or you may also download the form through:
How do I change my address in my court file?
You must file your change of address in writing form. You may bring it in person to the Civil/Family department or submit by mail. The clerk is unable to change an address over the phone. The following is a supreme court approved family law form:
How do I obtain a copy of a court hearing transcript?
The clerk’s office will only have a copy of a transcript if it has been filed for record into your court file. You may check this by viewing your case docket, if it has not been filed and you know it a Court Reporter was present or the hearing was digitally recorded you must do one of the following: If a Court Reporter was present you must contact the attorney who hired the Court Reporter in order to obtain the Court Reporters Agency’s number. You then must contact the Court Reporter and request your copy. If the hearing was digitally recorded you may contact the Digital Court Reporters at 749-3600 ext 7109.